Friday 21 August 2009

An annual summery (spelling intentional)

So how about that? After I decided to skiffle between the extremes of education and running my own business... I can finally say that: I have got into university! Huzzah.
It felt so good to finally be one of the many hard working students I know (and those whom I dont) to leave results day with SMILES ON FACES. Albeit the grades I received were not to the standard that I would have liked, so it was an 'only just' as far as getting in was concerned. Nevertheless I am there, so it is good to know that the last year wasn't a waste at all.
Sitting down I began to reflect on the last year and how it has really been quite eventful, I lost my job last July and from there on things just got better. Obviously I have been near enough pretty much broke for over a year now but that did not stop me.
I enjoyed a nice relaxing summer of classic car shows and drinking absurd quantities of tea with my partners overly-relaxed father. Raymond possesses a calming aura which if you indulge in for too long sends you to sleep, hence the requirment for drinking lots of tea in his presence I suppose.
September saw the start of college which built foundations for new friendships. A few months down the line I saw Sicknote for the first time, I liked them. We said 'hello' then we made friends.
Christmas saw the highest profit margins for Mistletoe selling than ever before, with the help of a contact of mine who attends lots of Christmas fairs I was able to sell LOADS, which of course meant PRESENTS FOR EVERYONE! I went to town, literally! Making sure that I didn't buy crap for my parents (Like Joy Division Oven Gloves, or a Drillfork)
Ooh, also October.. my first LAN. Yes, above it all I am still a PC gamer from time to time and LAN events for me are like gaming holidays, simply becuase I don't game at home. I met some cool dudes who don't afraid of anything and I soon became the worst gamer they have ever seen.
Entering 2009, it was all very much college type things, with Rach being uni we saw the formation of some incredible friendships from people there... all of whom we love to PIECES! We have done all the 'May Ball' nonsense and of course took them to see Sicknote (hehehe).
As the academic year drew to a close, Rachel (my beloved) announced that she would be moving to Llanthony Priory for the duration of the summer for her new job.
Brilliant I thought!
...Until I drove there... what a pissing nightmare... It has certainly put a strain on the relationship but nothing we are unable to cope with, it's just upped petrol costs and limited our time together. I guess this means when she moves in next week it'll be twice as fun (I hope)

I'll fast forward the summer.... (zoooooooop)... The last three weeks have involved: Two festivals, a house move and a holiday! In fact, they were all within a week of each other.. The first weekend being:

NOZSTOCK:

I was not there for long, I simply showed up to dance alongside my favourite band in all of the world (by world I mean... 50 mile radius) Sicknote! Running late, I bunged my car into a muddy pile, Squoloshed out into the mud and glanced down to see it ascend my legs like some horror film demon. Mmm, candy!
I went off to the little shed to get my wrist band and fought with the hungry ground. I checked out their nice stage that appeared to be assembled from mulch and twigs. RENEWABLE I thought!
I made my way around to the backstage area, with helpful directions from Dickie who was blurting them down the phone between moments of static. I followed the distant sounds of abstract conversation down the way which led to the band and their crew of dedicated (and colourful) followers.
I bedazzled Flappy with my glowy lab coat and he was happy. Doghouse was fashioning his usual attire of pegs and badges only with the subtle change of WELLIES! I was suprised at how practical he had been, he told me that he had a caravan and that life was grand... brilliant!

We waded over to the stage where a band had just been playing to around 2 people... By this point there were about a dozen people loitering and waiting for Sicknote... Shouting exclamatories at Filthy everytime he walked on stage. (Or rather swaggered, after all he is a rock star)
Conchar looked a bit pale, but after I realised that he had had his face painted white it was okay. He was modelling his usual getup of kilt, Sicknote T-shirt, red jacket (that reminds me of either a Sgt Pepper Jacket, or something to do with Communism, I really should do my homework!) Oh and of course ANTLERS.... of course... why wouldn't he?
We waiting on the steps for Flappy to start the intro, after a bit of a fist shake towards the sound man. (Why are sound men wankers?)
Eventually Flappy pushed the button that made it all go and it was loud and there was an audience and they did dance and Conchar and I did go on stage and did start dancing and did not stop dancing until the music did stop. (fuck punctuation)

Filthy was actually drumming today (I do criticise him a bit much) and it was bloody good. Bryn was clinging to his laptop and thrashing around like a 13 year old school girl listening to McFly. P&O was pushing buttons and making visuals happen. Doghouse summoned the spirits of some agressive vocalists and pumped their feelings through his own vocal chords for maximum effect.

The crowd were unhappy when Sicknote left the stage. There were a few hundred people down there, performing a dancing ritual that resembled many people having fits in front of a stage (which is what it is really).

We ambled back to the back stage room to be greated with beer and whatnot. I couldn't drink as I was driving, everyone was chatting about godknows what, I observed this for a while before decided to head off.

I have already written about Boomtown, so won't do it again!

The house move was pretty smooth, moved in on Thursday, chucked boxes about, stayed one night, went to Boomtown until Monday. Went from there to Portsmouth with Rach, got Mike, went to Devon then came back. There was ice cream and sand castles and it was magic.

Just setting up shop now, before I'll crack on with getting Sicknote some gigs and get back into film making.. I might even do some uni work :O

PEACE!

No comments:

Post a Comment